12 March 2012

my "political" rant


Ok so just to be clear the dictionary did not change it's definition of conservative to "small minded jerks with big mouths that think every one should agree with or care about their opinions." In my quest to see the state of things change, I don't remember signing a waiver that superseded my commitment as a follower of Christ that allowed me to be unloving, disrespectful or behave in a manner that would dishonor any leader whether a parent to a boss to civil authority. I don't always agree with what's happening and I do have my own opinions, and I do agree and know that it takes a "vocal" people to affect change.

Having said that though, going berserk and making it my mission to sling enough mud to "enlighten" some "poor misdirected liberal's" mind is not really the answer is it? I don't think so. What kind of a mixed message are you sending with your "Jesus fish" emblem next to your "Kill all {opposing political party}!" bumper sticker? I am not impressed with your "fact" finding ability, gloom and doom reports OR your witty rhetoric. I am saddened by your blindness.

My Bible says to:

  • Honor and submit to those in authority (Romans 13:1-8, 1 Peter 2:13-17)
  • Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you (Matthew 5:43-48)
These scriptures were written by people who were being killed in droves by a sick despot who took pleasure in finding new ways to torture people. You know what? They did not have the option of shouting negative divisiveness disguised as “conservatism” and dare I say Christianity. I know that the First Amendment gives us the freedom to express our opinion but with freedom (the power and right to do something) also comes a responsibility to use it wisely. (1 Peter 2:16)

I’m sure just by turning on the news any given day you could see what motivated me to write this. I’m not saying bow down and don’t have an opinion either. I am a fighter who has been called as a disciple of Jesus to change culture. But I believe that it can be done in a way that follows the statutes laid out for us in the Word. I look at the current and previous 2 presidential administrations and think when did we lose our ability to honor? When did our faith begin to say God is only in control if my guy or gal is voted into office? When did it become okay for us to tear down and destroy our own brothers and sisters in the faith because they have a differing political opinion from us?

I am not blind to the fact that there are some heinous tactics being pulled to pass laws that allow us to kill babies and get away with stealing and in many ways hurt others and take resources from future generations. However, I don’t believe that in fighting for a difference we get to neglect part of the greatest commandment of all which is Love your neighbor as yourself. Jesus tells us that by this will all men know that we are His disciples by our love for one another. 1 John also tells us that if we say we love God whom we cannot see but don’t love our brother whom we can see then we are liars. (1 John 4:20 and 1 John 2:9-11; 3:14-16)

Going halfway around the world and questioning the intelligence of the president is just as bad as screaming out in a session of congress that the president is a liar. Posting the latest hate about a current or former person in office is not necessarily the best thing either (just yesterday I read on a thread posted by a "Christian" a comment that said "hang him high" referring to the current president. Really?Don't even get me started on that.) I mean I never even got a chance to take the former governor of Alaska seriously with all the flack she caught. And the current Secretary of State, my word, there are so many creative things that have been said there. The previous president is still viewed by many as a big joke. As you know I could go on for hours with this but I won’t. I don't envy their positions. As you can hopefully see, I am fed up with the way all parties are representing themselves on their campaign platforms.

At the end of the day all I am trying to say is, “Stop hiding your hate behind a pretense of conservatism and calling it Jesus.” Done.

No comments: