19 September 2006

Dreaming of a Kung Fu Christmas

*this is a also posted on my White Belt Runner blog*

It has been decided by the high counsel of elders (the old farts in my head) that I will begin to learn Kung Fu starting in December. Today I went in for a trial class at Wujido Martial Arts Institute Dallas. It was AWESOME! After only 20 minutes I was sweating and shaking and after another five minutes I almost passed out while holding the "horse stance." It was GREAT! (note to self: eat before engaging in intense physical exercise, duh!)

I pushed my body as far as it could go and I was severely challenged. I was thinking,"Man what am I getting myself into? This is much more difficult than that school I went to last week! I don't think I am going to be able to do this." At that moment I realized that this is exactly where I need to be. This is the challenge I am looking for. I want to push my body to its peak in order to get the most out of it. I want to master my mind so that I can overcome the discomfort that is sure to come when we are doing strengthening exercises.

Learning a martial art has been a dream of mine since I was a kid watching the Saturday afternoon Martial Arts Matinee on TV. As I have grown and come to understand more about the many benefits of Martial Arts, I became more interested in following that path. Discipline, respect for others, focus, sincerity and balance are all key highlights I look forward to grasping and living out.

No comments: